A recent newspaper article showed that our common ‘snacking’ at work and other places make us pile on weight.
In fact it’s not just helping us pile on weight, most of these so called ‘snacks’ are truly not good for our health nor for our body.
Here are my top 10 tips to prevent you from falling into the ‘social snack trap’:
1. Learn to say “No!” and be proud of it! You don’t have to eat someone’s birthday cake just because it’s there.
3. Be an example: When it’s your turn bring something healthy like a fruit bowl, fruit kebabs or veggies and dips.
6. Before you stick your fork into the cake or your fingers into the chip bowl, ask yourself the question: “How does this help me?” or “How does this help my body?” or “Is this what I really want?”
7. Be smart and don’t even try one piece! Once you start, the sugar or salt content will usually make you want to eat more and before you even notice you may have consumed the calories of a whole meal in one snack – often even more.
8. Look at the food temptation at what it truly is and ask yourself the question: “Is it worth it?” Most snacks consist of plenty of salt or refined sugar which is damaging our health. Another common ingredient is a lot of fat which not only makes us overweight but also immensely increases our risk for the common, for most people very painful and highly uncomfortable, often deadly lifestyle related diseases.
9. When tempted tell yourself that you can have the chocolate, chips or cake every day but that you don’t want it right now. Remember that “The most important thing in our life is our body. It is our body that sticks with us our entire life – and it is mostly upon us how well we keep it functioning.”
10. Every day focus on a healthy diet with plenty of vegetables and fruits as this will help to reduce food cravings.