Meals in many pubs and restaurants are often becoming increasingly unhealthy. At the same time many of us are fighting serious weight issues and we are being told that diet–related diseases are on the rise and we could suffer severe damage to our health with the all–too–common fatty diet regimes of the 21st century.
Is there a way to avoid eating fatty food in restaurants and pubs? What happens if we want to go out with friends? What if we are invited to a party or to go on a trip? Does this mean giving up all the good intentions of eating healthy?
No! I found out that you can easily have some good, tasty, low-fat options wherever you go.
- Have a tasty burger. Eat it without the meat, fried egg and cheese, but enjoy the fresh taste of the lettuce, tomato, cucumber and beetroot, combined with some caramelised onion, and choose a large salad instead of chips to go with it. This reduces your calorie and fat intake to an absolute minimum.
- Everyone is having fish and chips and you think you will miss out? Have your fish with a large salad instead of the chips. Your fat intake will be more than halved just by using this simple trick and you can still enjoy a great meal with your friends, without feeling guilty.
- Having a night out with your best friend? Order pasta with a large salad and share both.
- Hungry after a big day? What about some Nachos? Ask the chef to serve them without cheese and sour cream, but with lots of salad instead. This way you avoid most of the ‘bad’ fats and still have a fantastic and filling meal.
- You only want a small meal? Simply have a large salad. Be aware of hidden fats though; any cheese, egg, chicken, or similar ingredients, can massively increase the fat and calories you consume. Ask the chef to remove those products from your salad. Also be aware of mayonnaise or cheese dressings. Why not order the dressing on the side? Then you can choose to put on the amount of dressing you want.
- What about pizza? Have a vegetarian pizza (they have the least amount of ‘bad’ fats) and order it without cheese. Try it – it tastes great.
- Going out for breakfast? Have a salad sandwich or roll. Skip the butter and have some avocado instead. And don’t ruin your sandwich with turkey, ham, cheese or mayonnaise. Any of these ingredients can double the amount of fat.
- Don’t ever forget that you might be more thirsty than hungry. Always drink water to quench your thirst.
Enjoy your food and your life